He loves his Cole Haan wingtips like you love your ballet flats, doesn’t mind going scruffy for the day even though you are consistently poised and polished, and almost always orders an extra side of bacon with his breakfast while you predictably prefer a fresh salad before noon. He’s the yang to your yin, complementary instead of conflicting, making your relationship one of balance; however, he is decidedly interested in peppering his home decorating opinion among your feminine approach. Let’s discuss how to appease the masculine in feminine décor without bruising either one of your egos and keeping an aesthetic equilibrium you both can enjoy.
1. Carlisle Leather Armchair ($1699): Start with a chair. Most of the time, all a man needs is a little space to call his own and this leather club chair can be easily femmed-up with a cashmere throw or silk lavender pillow.
2. “Beach” Glass Mosaic Tile (129.90 for 10 sq. feet): Let him pick the tile and make it a mosaic style. With a variety of colors weaved into the glass, a mosaic could be the easiest tile to femin-ize.
3. Industrial Steel Pipe Door Pull Handles ($150.79): Metal exudes strength, often appealing to men yet can be coupled with a white front door. Can we say delicate “Man of Steel”?
4. Fun for Your Life Wall Décor in Dino ($79.99): Satisfy the little boy in him by introducing a little nostalgia from his youth and yours. This dino above his desk or on his side of the bed would nicely mirror your collection of framed unicorn prints.
5. Hampton Chesterfield Sofa (from $1658): The rounded arms bring a soft feel to this sofa while the old world “worn” look of the leather combined with studs and mahogany feet exude a manly flair.
6. Farmhouse copper sink ($2975): Opting for copper instead of ceramic or stainless brings a rugged and textured look that will flatter delicate countertops.
7. Stone Harbor Paint #2111-50 (starting at $36.99/gallon): It’s not so bad to go gray when it comes to décor and with a stone or porpoise-hued paint, the sky is the limit in colors that compliment. Perfect for plum curtains or cranberry furnishings, gray will be a lovely canvas that will stop arguments in every household. (Paint swatch via House Beautiful)
8. Lord Bodner’s Octopus Study – Natural Curiosities print ($6787.50): If your man is obsessed with everything nautical and screams out random quotes from Moby Dick in his sleep, it’s time to take that literary infatuation and translate it into art.
9. Coldwater Catch Wind Chime ($98): Make his hobby pretty. If he is a die-hard fisherman, find dainty décor that will arm you a simple response of: “But it’s a fish, my love. Don’t you like fishing?”
How do you incorporate your beau’s decorating style into your home?