1. Do at-home yoga to get you in the mood. As you invert your body and settle into a few downward dog rounds, don’t close your eyes. Open them and really take in the 5-inch dust bunnies under your television.
2. Don’t clean the kitchen first. The kitchen always gets cleaned, right? Tackle the space that you’re too tired to clean at the end of the day, like your bedroom or the laundry room.
3. Watch an episode of Hoarders. Your house isn’t looking so bad now, is it?
4. Use old socks instead of towels to clean surfaces. I seem to be out of dishtowels when I am cleaning, which gives purpose to all of those miscellaneous mismatched socks.
5. Use cute and honest decor as an excuse. One of my favorite homekeeping quotes is from Erma Bombeck.
“My theory on housework is, if the item doesn’t multiply, smell, catch fire, or block the refrigerator door, let it be. No one else cares. Why should you?”
― Erma Bombeck
I am working on making it pretty for a frame positioned right above my fireplace…
(Print found at Bella Grey Vintage on Etsy.)
As you clean, snap a few pictures and text to all your friends with the caption, “See! I do clean my house!”
Love and happy cleaning to you, my dear domestics…